Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Getting home

I had decided to leave Trier Sunday evening, and I planned it so that I could be in my bed falling asleep by midnight. So I left Trier to go back to Koblenz, then from there, I was supposed to catch a train to Mainz, then get on a different train back to Mannheim. I misunderstood the man who was telling me this at the train station, so I did not get off the train at Mainz, and got all the way to Würzburg, before I realized that train wasn't going to Mannheim. So I got off that train at midnight, and then I had to go back to Frankfurt, then from there go to Mannheim. The train to Frankfurt didn't arrive until a few minutes after 1, and I didn't get there until 2:20 am. I then caught the train to Mannheim, which didn't arrive until 3:30.

Unfortunately, the trams don't run that early in the morning, and I didn't have enough money on me to hire a taxi, so I had to wait an hour and a half for a tram to come by so I could take it to my dorm room. During that time, I witnessed and experienced some pretty weird stuff. This creepy looking guy sat down right next to me at the tram stop, even though there were other seats to sit in, and then placed his hand on the seat and kept inching it over until he touched my thigh. I got up and moved to a different seat, then he got up and meandered over to where I was sitting and then sat right next to me again! As soon as he sat down, I stood up and immediately moved to another seat. He didn't try to sit next to me the rest of the time, but he kept looking at me, and he did the same thing to another girl later on!

Later on
, a couple of college age girls came to the tram. I didn't know if they were a couple, or if they were just friends, but something went wrong between them and they started fighting! They were cussing, slapping, pushing and screaming at each other, so much so that a police officer had to come and physically separate them. One of them walked of saying something like, "She ruined our friendship!" It was pretty intense.

The last noteworthy happening was what I think was an attempted robbery. This guy came up to me and asked me in German, "Are you tired? We could go to my apartment and have a lot of fun. I am from Iraq and I really like you." He went along those lines for about 2 to 5 minutes, all during which I looked around for the same police officer that separated those two girls, to no avail. Well, the guy finally left, and I got on the tram a short while later, took off my backpack, in which all of my things for the weekend were, and I notice
d that one of the pockets was open! Luckily, I had taken everything of an importance or value, like my camera, PDA, cellphone and eurail pass, in my purse earlier that evening, so nothing was taken. I finally got to my own bed shortly after 5 am, and slept very well afterwards.

On a lighter note, I think my husband is a fish whisperer!










He went to Lake Brownwood with some friends from the Young Marrieds group at our church in the states, and apparently caught this really big Striped Bass. I heard it tasted good too!

1 comment:

myra said...

Wow! What adventures your having! I'm glad you're having so much fun and very glad you are safe. Be careful out there with those crazy Germans. ;)